Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Mixed Media Mojo Design Team Project - January

I posted my first official Design Team project over on the Mixed Mojo blog today and I am really excited for this year of creativity with this team. And with sharing it with all of you - my AMAZING blog followers!!

For my project I stuck as best I could to the January theme of new with the twist clocks. I had an idea in mind for a while on doing a Steampunk style clock and had a bunch of great materials to use and this theme was the perfect opportunity to do so. Here is a look at the finished project and I will go through how I made it below the picture.

I started off with a round wooden frame that I got in one of the many mixed media kit clubs I belong to, along with some clock chipboard pieces and some Finnabair multi media canvas with a music theme already printed on the canvas.

The first step was to attach the canvas pieces in random spots around the frame using 3D Gel medium. I also attached a lot of the string that came off when I was tearing the canvas into strips - it gave the piece even more texture. I was also working on another project at the same time and as opposed to wasting the extra paste on the stencil I was using for that project I added more dimension in a few places to this project with that same stencil.

Once this was all dry, the next step was to paint and spray the entire piece. I used Dina Wakely metallic paint as the first layer and then sprayed on top of that with Tim Holtz Distress sprays and Mica Sprays. I used shades of teal and blue, as well as more metallic colours to give it the steampunk feel I wanted. I also added more colour to highlight certain areas using Ink Gold. I also added more dimension using texture paste in a few areas - mostly to highlight the numbers I wanted on the clock.

The next stage was to alter the chipboard clock pieces. To do this I used Finnabair's fantastic Rust Paste. I love it for giving items that aged/antique feel.

The final stage was to add the clock pieces and all the other ephemera that I wanted on the clock.  I have always had people asking me how I do this part and unfortunately, there is really no rhyme nor reason for how I place things where I do. In some cases I was trying to cover up the pop dots I was using, but mostly I just place everything down in different spots until I have the look that I want and then I glue it all down. Here are some close ups of the finished clock.

If you want to check out the Mixed Media Mojo blog, or if you want to participate in the challenges, click on this link and have a look:

Mixed Media Mojo

I hope you all like my project and I would love to hear your thoughts! So until next time, stay crafty my peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment